Mission Statement & Objectives
CSGA’s Mission Statement is to:
Represent members by:
- Advancing a grower perspective on issues related to seed;
- Providing leadership to members and engaging in activities designed to give members a voice on seed related matters; and
- Supporting members in gaining and maintaining knowledge of seed crop certification.
Advance the seed industry by:
- Promoting the benefits of pedigreed seed throughout the seed industry and to end-users;
- Advocating the use of the seed certification system as an integral part of identity preserved and quality assurance programs;
- Cooperating with researchers, growers and processors to expand the use of pedigreed seed; and
- Facilitating transfer of end-use specific traits from research to commercial use through pedigreed seed.
Provide seed crop certification by:
- Developing varietal purity standards and regulations for pedigreed seed crop production;
- Maintaining a verifiable seed certification system; and
- Certifying the varietal purity of pedigreed seed crops.
The objectives of the Canadian Seed Growers’ Association are:
- To ensure, and certify to, the varietal purity of seed produced by its members and to maintain the pedigree thereof.
- To identify, and certify to, for purposes other than further pedigreeing, the varietal purity of seed produced from superior propagating material.
- To encourage the development and introduction of superior varieties and strains of plants.
- To develop programs which expand the use of Pedigreed Seed for increased domestic crop production and for export.
- Generally to contribute to the establishment and maintenance of high standards in yield and quality of agriculture crops.
- To co-operate with other agencies which have an interest in seed production, promotion and distribution both in Canada and abroad.
- To coordinate the endeavours of Pedigreed seed growers with those of plant breeders and crop producers in general.